The BaByliss Pro clippers line offers the same quality of constructions and dependability of use as more expensive “professional” clippers. In this buyer’s guide, we will review the top features, available models, pros and cons, FAQs, and much more.
If you are like many men, you take a bit of pride in your appearance. That is probably especially true of your hair and beard. If this is the case and you don’t have a hair clipper in your kit, then you probably want to add one to your grooming accessories so you can keep things around the top of your body neat and orderly.
Looking at the BaByliss lineup shows a range of styles, colors, and features. A quick review of each of their clipper products can help you find the best clipper for your needs.
Best Babyliss Clippers
|SuperFX FX673||LithiumFX||FX870||SteelFX||Volare X2|
|Titanium Blade Coating||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Wet and Dry Cutting||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Adjustable Taper||Yes – 5 positions||Yes||Yes – 5 position||Yes – 5 position||Yes – 4 position|
|Comb Attachments||Yes – 8 in all||Yes – 8 in all||Yes – 8 in all||Yes – 8 in all||Yes – 8 in all|
|Japanese Steel Blades||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Run Time||75 minutes||75 Minutes||120 minutes||NA||unknown|
|Recharge time||3 hours||3 hours||NA||unknown|
1. BaBylisPro X2 Volare Clipper FX811 – Best BaByliss Clipper Overall
The X2 Volare Clipper (FX811) is the flagship of the BaByliss line of hair clippers. These clippers feature the most advanced technology in the BaByliss clipper group. The Volare X2 is a true professional-grade machine but is just as at home in your bath as it is in the salon.
The motor, touted by BaByliss as being designed in collaboration with Ferrari engineers, is promised to deliver superior reliability and life with the least noise and vibration. Weight and vibration are two of the things most often cited as problems with any hair clipper. For the professional, the features make the Volare X2 an easy pick.
- Precision titanium coated blades
- Ergonomic design for extended use
- Comes in a red or black finish
- Four cutting position adjustments
- 3-stage LED Battery life indicator
- Can be used cordless or as a corded clipper
- BaByliss designed precision cutting system
- Two-year warranty on the body of the clipper
- One-year warranty on the blade
- 2 hours of cordless runtime on a single charge
- Ferrari designed motor runs up to 10,000 hours
BaByliss claims that the Volare X2 using the Ferrari designed motor can cut twice as fast as comparable clippers. Faster cutting may give professional groomers and stylists an edge. Anyone will welcome the lighter weight, vibration-free operation, and lack of clipper noise.
- MaxLifePro engine technology
- Long life (up to 10,000 hours of operation)
- Comfort, ergonomics, power and light weight
- Li PO battery, the engine provides a high torque with extremely powerful performance
- LED display for an exact indication of the available power
- Blade movement of 6300 per minute, which means even the thickest of hair will not give this machine any problems.
- Anti-vibration feature
- New ergonomic concept for pleasant work
- Shear head cut lengths adjustable to 4 positions (0.8 / 1.2 / 1.6 / 2.0 mm)
2. BaBylissPro™ SteelFX™ Supercharged Pivot Motor Clipper FX880 – Best for Thick Hair and Beards
The adjustable blade comes with a 5-position taper lever. Most users will agree that this clipper is the most powerful and fastest they have enjoyed. This is because it uses a pivot motor instead of a magnetic one and has double the speed and torque as a result of this, according to the company.
Thick hair poses a challenge for any clipper. Often, those with thicker hair or beards have problems with clippers jamming, or the hair is simply to tough for the motor of the clipper to handle adequately.
BaByliss has taken on the challenge of thick, tough hair and beards with the BaBylissPro “SteelFX” FX880 Clipper. Most trimmers use a magnetic motor, which gives more speed. More speed means faster cutting but magnetic motors don’t have a lot of torque. Pivot motors move the blades slower but give much more torque making the clippers effective on thicker hair.
The BaByliss SteelFX clippers are the answer to the thick hair and beard problem without giving up any of the features that you want in a top of the line hair clipper.
- Pivot motor design delivers twice the torque of most magnetic motors
- The Supercharged pivot motor by BaByliss delivers twice the blade speed of comparable pivot motor clippers
- Includes eight comb attachments
- Ergonomic design for ease of use without tiring
- Stainless steel blades
- Can be used on wet or dry hair
If you have tried other clippers and been disappointed because they lacked the power to quickly and comfortably trim your thicker hair or beard, you should look at the BaByliss Steel FX trimmers. Not only will you be surprised at how well this trimmer manages thicker hair. Add to that the speed that you can cut makes this an outstanding buy.
8 Combs System
The clipper is equipped with 8 combs, which work and fit very well. It goes through lots of hair quite fast and works great for women as well. It takes about a minute to cut four inches of hair, to give you a picture. It works just as well on dry as on wet hair. The clipper runs cool and cuts fast and clean. It is also extremely quiet.
You wouldn’t believe such a light and quiet product can be as powerful as all that.The product is reliable and durable. Its brilliant features make up for the relatively high price. In other words, quality is worth the investment. We believe this clipper will hold up well with extended use.
- The powerful BaBylissPRO SteelFX Supercharged Pivot Motor professional clipper features a high-frequency pivot motor & is scientifically balanced for superior ergonomics. Perfect for cutting all hair types—wet or dry!
- This ergonomic hair clipper has twice the torque & speed of a standard clipper & comes with 8 comb attachments.
There are two versions of the Pro Volare, a standard and a deluxe model. They are both excellent and have been included in this review as a result. The BaByliss Pro Volare X1 Clipper packs a serious motor even though it is the basic version of this model.
This clipper is very comfortable to handle and extremely powerful. Its rubberized casing enables a solid grip. The box comes with various comb attachments for varying lengths. This is a cordless hair clipper that is sold with its own charging stand. A slight downside is battery power.
Admittedly, this is not the best feature of this clipper. At the lower speed setting, a full charge will only give you around an hour of use. In terms of speed settings, you’d be happy to know the X1 has more than the on and off button.
Its motor can run on a full three different speed settings. Not unlike many other hair clipper brands. This clipper model comes with a hair brush to clean the hair from the clippers and some lubricating oil for the blades.
- The BaBylissPRO Volare X2 is the finest professional hair clipper available. The Ferrari-designed engine means this clipper is ultra low vibration and ultra lightweight. Lithium ion battery with 3-hour cordless run time.
- This cord/cordless hair clipper has a patented X-Grip blade to cut 2x faster. Comes with 8 comb attachments.
4.BaBylissPRO® FX870 Clippers – The Ultimate in Style and Features
I know many of you scorn the mundane and the everyday. The utility is fine, but style is something you actively seek. BaByliss has heard you and introduced the BaBylissPro FX870 series of clippers. The BaByliss FX870 clippers could be the answer to your need for both function and style.
The BaByliss FX870 series of clippers are high-quality professional style clippers that come standard with an all-metal body in three different colors to fit your style. You can have these clippers in gold, rose, or silver finish. There is no reason to sacrifice style to get a top of the line set of clippers.
The colorful exterior of these clippers contains the usual high level of features for which BaByliss is known. You don’t have to skimp on performance or quality to get style any longer.
- DLC Titanium-coated blade
- Five detent taper control
- High-torque brushless, Ferrari designed motor
- Lithium-ion battery
- Two-hour runtime on a single charge
- All-metal housing
- Knurled barbell style grip
- Cordless or corded operation
- Includes eight comb attachments
- Detent hanging hook
- Limited 2-year warranty
- Available in gold, silver, or rose colors
You can look good in the salon or in your bath with the Babyliss FX870 clippers. Color coordinate your grooming setup and know that you are using the finest clippers available.
While the Pro Volare X1 is a good clipper. It looks like the company really wanted to test the limits with the Volare range. Hence, we have a second option – the F1 branded Babyliss Pro Volare X2 Clipper.
The Ferrari of Hair Clippers
What does F1 branded mean? In this case, it means the motor was inspired by Ferrari.This is not the first Babyliss product developed in cooperation with Ferrari.
It is yet another hair styling device with extra class – high tech and very high quality. The Volare Professional Ferrari Hair Clipper combines the performance and quality of the Ferrari brand with Babyliss Pro’s excellent product development.
The haircutting tool is extremely powerful and guarantees the most precise cut. The design is not only effective but also beautiful. It allows for comfortable clipper handling.
Long Battery Life
Unlike other Babyliss hair clippers, this particular model (when fully charged) has extremely long battery life. We were really impressed by the fact that motor power is not compromised by enhanced battery life capability.
Au contraire, as the French would say, the motor’s power is above average compared to other Hair clippers. If you’ve only used corded hair clippers before because you always wanted full power, you’d be pleased to learn you don’t have to keep making this sacrifice. At least not if you choose the Babyliss Pro Volare X2 Ferrari.
Using this product in cordless mode will still guarantee optimal power and motor performance. It is without a doubt that the X2 Volare has set new standards when it comes to professional hair styling tools and machines. This isn’t to say that a layman can’t afford or shouldn’t use the X2 Volare. On the contrary, we definitely recommend it. Like our first choice, the price to quality ratio is extremely good.
How These Clippers Stack Up
The big difference in the clippers in the BaByliss line has to focus on the blades and the motors. IN all the other feature areas, each of the BaByliss clippers ranks pretty much even. It isn’t surprising that the differences should come in the two parts that are most instrumental in how well a clipper works.
BaByliss uses three motors in their clippers. The quest for any clipper designer is to build a clipper that provides several things to the end-user.
- Long life
- Low noise
- Less vibration
- Lower weight
BaByliss has incorporated some old technology and some new technology into the quest to meet these demands from users. Looking at how each of these motor technologies works with the other features gives a good perspective on the BaByliss clippers.
Corded vs. Non-Corded
The apparent difference is the cord. The BaBylissPro models that are considered corded must be plugged into an outlet to operate. The battery-powered models give you an option to use the clippers without the cord attached or to use them just like a corded model while the charging cord is attached.
There are pros and cons to each type of clipper.
- Corded clippers never have to be recharged
- Battery-powered clippers free you from the restraints of the cord
- Corded clippers tend to have a longer life
- Rechargeable clippers are more portable
- Batteries wear out and have to be replaced
- Many stylists find using a cordless clipper much handier when doing intricate work
As far as features, reliability, and quality, the BaBylissPros clippers, whether corded or battery-powered, seem to offer the same functionality. Even power doesn’t seem to be an issue between the corded varieties and the battery-powered models.
Tips to Get the Most From Your BaByliss Clippers
You once you decide on which model of clippers you like and have made your purchase, you will want to consider how to make those clippers perform to their peak as well as have a long life. There are a few tips for keeping your BaByliss clippers working like new for many years.
After Each Use
- Clean the clippers thoroughly – Small hair clippings and oil from your hair and beard can buildup in and around the blades. Hair clippings and oil can cause the motor to work harder, which will shorten the life of the motor. Disassemble the cutting head and clean it well following the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Lubricate the blade – The small parts that work together inside the cutting head need to be lubricated to extend the life of the blades and mechanism. BaByliss recommends that you use their all-in-one clipper spray. With the clippers running, make two passes with the spray across the moving blades. For other manufacturers, you should follow their recommendations.
- Wipe the clippers – Turn off the clippers and wipe away any excess lubricant and then wipe the entire body of the flippers.
Recommendations vary among professionals and home users alike about how often to replace the blades on your clipper. More than anything else, the common denominator seems to be how much use the blades see.
Professional users of clippers tend to replace the blades in their clippers every three months or so. The constant use, disassembly, and cleaning of the blades put a lot of wear and tear on an essential part of the clipper. Professional want to give their customers the closest, cleanest cut with the least discomfort possible and them requires sharp blades.
Home users report that they change the blade on an as-needed basis, or when the cut becomes noticeably harder to maintain, or there is discomfort doing the cuts. Most change the blades in their clippers at least once a year. We advise that you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our final section deals with common questions about these hair products.
|Name of product||Best feature||User rating|
|BaByliss Pro FX880 Pivot Motor Clipper||All metal, high torque and speed||5/5|
|Babyliss Pro Volare X1 Clipper||Very powerful motor, sold with own charging stand||4.5/5|
|Babyliss Pro Volare Ferrari X2 Clipper||Ferrari-inspired motor, long-lasting, durable, reliable||5/5|
Can You Cut Long Hair With Clippers?
While clippers were originally designed for short haircuts, you can cut long hair if you have a steady hand and a good eye. The attachment is fixed to the head and keeps the hair all cut the same length.
What Are The Best Professional Hair Clippers?
Apart from our first and third choices, you can opt for Andis Barber Combo-Powerful Clipper. Wahl Professional Cord/Cordless Magic Clip, and Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper.
What Are The Best Hair Clippers For Home Use?
All Babyliss clippers will work for home use. Apart from those, you can get Philips Norelco Hair Clipper Pro. Remington Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Hair Clippers, or Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit. You may want to check our other post about babyliss Hair Dryer.
Making the Decision
Whether you opt for style, power, or overall utility, BaByliss clippers can fill the need. Whether you opt for the Ferrari models or the FX models, your choice ensures a high quality long lasting clipper.