Hair extensions have become popular in recent years in the women’s beauty world worldwide. Hair extensions are attached to the hair to increase the hair length and volume for a more glamorous look. They are also used as a protective style for natural hair as they can be bleached, styled, and heated without touching the natural hair.
Hair extensions become dry and frizzy because of the lack of proper handling and care necessary for the hair to say moist and lively. Also, employing a non-professional stylist or DIY method of fixing hair extensions can leave them dry and frizzy. Irrespective of the quality of your hair extensions, They can go dry, frizzy, and unusable in the long run when they are not handled properly.
Most women don’t believe their hair extensions need to be specially treated, just as they do with their natural hair. This is because natural hair is still attached to the root and can get nutrients automatically, but extensions can’t; hence, the reason for proper care. Find below more reasons why extensions go dry and frizzy and some preventive measures to be taken.
Why Do Hair Extensions Go Dry And Frizzy?
Hair extensions come in many colors and textures, so it is easy to match them with your hair color and texture. The braids are made from synthetic or human hair, which is then sewn into the natural hair. Braids can be straight or curly and can be made of different colors like brown, black, blonde, or red.
However, many people often have issues with their extensions, like finding them dry and frizzy. The number one cause is that your hair extensions are not treated with the same care as natural hair. This occurs because many women don’t even know how to properly care for their hair extensions.
The advantages of caring for your hair extensions cannot be overemphasized, as it will save you a lot of stress and money. Below are a few reasons why your extensions can because dry and frizzy.
Employing an unprofessional to fix your hair extension should not be part of your plan to save cost. Reasons because it will only make you spend more in a situation where they don’t get it right. The wrong usage of any products that are not appropriate for your extension can leave it dry and frizzy.
The Heat From Styling Tools
Another reason your hair extensions can look dry and frizzy is the frequent usage of heat styling tools. Too much heat from styling tools is a major contributor to dry and frizzy hair. If you use heat styling tools every day, it’s necessary to use a heat protectant spray or serum to help minimize the damage.
Environmental factors are a major player in making your hair extensions dry and frizzy. Just as they. While humidity can make your hair absorb moisture from the air, leading to frizz, the dry winter air can also cause your hair to become brittle and dry. Hence, just as you prevent your natural hair from these environmental forces, the same way you should care for your hair extensions too.
Over Styling Of Extensions
Many women do too many experiments with their hair extensions and want it to remain the same. They change hairstyles and bleach extensions with dyes for color variations regularly, which can lead to dry and frizzy hair. Chemicals are usually not hair extension friendly no matter the quality, including natural hair from a human donor.
In a bid to maintain the hair extensions, we get to wash them too often sometimes, which also increases the chances of the hair going drier and frizzier. Regular washing of hair extensions reduces the natural moisture left in the hair.
What Are Some Easy Ways To Prevent Frizzy Hair Extensions?
If you’re looking for ways to prevent your hair extensions from getting frizzy, you’ve come to the right place. Frizzy hair is a common problem, but it can be easily avoided with the right care and products. Find below a few ways you can prevent Frizzy Hair extensions.
- One way to prevent dry, frizzy hair is to use a good quality shampoo and conditioner. A good sulfate-free shampoo will go a long way to help prevent dry and frizzy hair.
- Look for products designed for frizzy hair or containing ingredients like silicone or Moroccan oil. These products will help to smooth the hair cuticle and prevent moisture from escaping.
- It’s also important to avoid using heat on your hair extensions. This includes both heat styling tools and hot water.
- If you must use heat, make sure to use a heat protectant product first.
- When brushing your hair extensions, be gentle. Use comb or brush with wide-tooth specifically designed for wigs and extensions. Avoid brushing/combing your hair too hard or too much, as this can cause tangles and breakage.
- Finally, keep your hair extensions well moisturized. Regular deep conditioning treatments will help you from keeping them hydrated and free from getting frizzy. You can use a serum or leave-in conditioner on days when your hair feels particularly dry or frizzy.
Whatever method you opt for, ensure you are patient and consistent. It may take some time to see results, but if you stick with it, you will eventually get rid of your dry, frizzy hair.
Ways To Revive Dry And Frizzy Hair Extensions
Dry and frizzy hair is not an uncommon problem faced by women with various factors being the cause. If you are faced with dry and frizzy hair conditions, there are several things you can do to get rid of it; find some quick steps below.
- One way to get rid of dry, frizzy hair is to use hair shampoo and conditioner formulated for dry hair.
- Invest in hair products that contain natural ingredients such as; avocado oil or argan oil. These oils will help to nourish and protect your hair.
- Another way to get rid of dry, frizzy hair is to use deep conditioning treatments that will penetrate deeply into the hair.
- Deep conditioning treatments help to replenish lost moisture from your hair. After applying a deep conditioning treatment, your hair will be softer and more manageable.
- You can use a leave-in conditioner or an anti-frizz serum.
- You can also try blow-drying your hair with cool air instead of hot air.
The Best Treatments To Restore Dry Hair Extensions
The best way to cure dry hair extensions is using natural remedies. This is because using natural, high-quality oils imitates how our scalps moisturize our hair with sebum. Our hair feels soft because of sebum, which is packed with beneficial ingredients.
However, hair extensions cannot receive sebum because they are not affixed to the scalp. The appropriate natural oils can permeate the hair and moisturize it from the inside (not all oils can do this). Non-natural treatments merely coat the hair (usually with some silicone) to hide the dryness and create the appearance that the hair is moisturized.
Dryness and Fizziness of hair extensions are common worldwide issues among hair extension users. There are so many factors listed in this article that can be responsible for this dry and frizzy feel of your hair extensions.
At the same time, proper care and using the right hair product can help prevent and revive your dry and frizzy hair extension. Find out more about causes, preventions, and ways to restore your hair extensions in this article.