Communion is a ceremony held in churches as a sort of indoctrination into Christian living.
The first communion service is held for children who have come of age to be held accountable in the local church.
However, there are things that are acceptable when it comes to what they can wear to the ceremony. The best thing to wear for the first communion is conservative in nature, mostly white in color.
Since the event is meant to be conservative, then whatever your little is wearing should be conservative as well. Follow through and see all that can be worn during a communion service by both girls and boys alike.
However, the white outfit represents the white gown that is usually worn during the Baptist ceremony. It is mostly regarded as a sign of purity. In other cases, a communion service should be traditional and something that fits into whatever your local church would choose.
So, the first communion service dress should be elegant and uniform at the same time.
What Are The Rules For Dressing to A First Communion?
Going for the first communion is a unique religious gathering, and so whatever your child is to wear should be in that regard. Instead of trying to make them look fancy or looking expensive, a rather elegant and yet comfortable look should be what you go for.
There is usually a dress code that is prescribed for the participants for first communicants, and it is usually best that you respect that. Typically, about twenty to thirty kids are involved in the process, and it takes up to three hours to conclude. With this, you should also be considering comfort throughout this time frame.
However, if you still need help figuring what your child should wear to the first communion, the following should do it:
- Appropriate and straightforward: Whatever clothing article you choose should be simple enough not to distract your little one during service. It should have so many accessories as they could distract your kids as well.
- Stay away from casual: Unless it was clearly stated in the church, stay away from anything casual. Clothing articles like jeans and T-shirts are not proper for the first communion.
- No dark colors: It’s a religious celebration, and dark colors are not usually proper for such events. So, stick with things like white or ivory when purchasing an outfit for your child’s first communion.
What should a girl wear to a first communion?
Since you now know what works on a general note, in this section are rules that apply to girls. However, it is split into two, and the first talks about advisable clothes and the others what you shouldn’t wear to the first communion.
Check them out below:
What should a girl wear to a communion party?
Here is a guide to what a girl can wear to a first communion service:
- A white or ivory dress should do the job. However, it should have a simple pattern or cuts and also a sleeve. Ensure that the outfit is also of calf-length or only below the knee in length.
- If she doesn’t want to wear a dress, then pants could also be a replacement. But confirm that it can be worn to the church.
- You can get her either an elegant cardigan, a bolero jacket or a sweater. This is not a critical piece of clothing but can be just before the ceremony begins.
- For her feet, a dress shoe without heels or a light-colored flat is always convenient.
- She could wear a nude color tight, a white or ivory socks. Note, this is an optional piece and can be done without.
- Another clothing item that can be worn is gloves. But, there are not required for the ceremony itself. Instead, it could be used in taking pictures.
Can a girl not wear certain things to communion?
Here are things that a girl should not wear to her first communion service:
- She shouldn’t wear colorful or dark-colored dresses that come with elaborate designs.
- Sleeveless, tight, or only short dresses are not right for such ceremonies.
- Clothes like tank tops, spaghetti straps, and those with deep necklines are not advisable.
- Also, she shouldn’t be at the communion service with dark-colored or high heeled shoes. The heels could hurt after being worn for a long time.
- When it comes to tights and socks, they shouldn’t be dark as well.
- Makeup is also too elaborate for a communion service.
- Lastly, avoid accessory pieces that come with elaborate designs and patterns.
Note, communion ceremonies can be conservative, and therefore, whatever a girl is wearing should reflect that. Light-colored dresses and flat shoes are suitable choices that can be worn.
What should a boy wear to a first communion?
At the first communion service, and a boy is attending, it is appropriate that they wear their Sunday best. Unlike the ladies, they can come in regular Sunday clothes they wear to the church service.
However, the regular outfits that are to be worn at any religious or conservative gathering are either a dark male suit or a light one combined with a pair of formal dress shoes. But on a specific day, like the communion, the church may go for certain specifics as a uniform form. They may require white suits with any color of dress shoes, but it is not always compulsory.
Still, just like the girls, they are accepted on a general note and those that aren’t. Check them below:
Are there things a boy can wear to communion party?
- A boy can wear a dark-colored suit or a light one.
- Boys can also wear jackets and things like a sports coat.
- A white collared shirt with a full button is also acceptable, and they could either be long or short-sleeved.
- Combined with the shirts, they can also wear dark dress pants with a belt. It could either be black or nay blue pants.
- When it concerns the tie, it should always be a solid color, and if there is to be a pattern on it, it should be subtle. Still, your local church can get to decide this for you.
- The shoes should either be black, grey, or brown, and they should be complemented with dark socks as well.
Are there things a boy can’t wear to communion party?
Here are certain things that a boy shouldn’t wear to his first communion service:
- Never take casual T-shirts or Polo shirts.
- Also, stay clear of sports pants or jeans.
- Athletic boots or winter boots shouldn’t replace the acceptable dress shoes.
Note, these rules can change depending on the church and what they want. You can always contact the ones in charge of the communion ceremony and know what is accepted.
It is essential for a first communion service that you go for a conservative look or a solid color. The outfits should also have sleeves, and for the girl should have a considerable length when worn. Too many colors are always inappropriate because communion services are meant to be uniform for the communicants.