Most homeowners don’t want their house smelling like smoke, which is why they typically smoke outside. However, there are times where you may not feel like venturing out to spark one up. In that case, you can use a sploof to mask the unpleasant odor. Most individuals use dryer sheets as the inner filter, but you can also create sploofs without them.
To make a sploof without dryer sheets, you will need coffee filters and Febreze instead. Also, you can roll deodorant on the filters so that they will absorb the smoke. You can create these by following a few very short steps with items that you already have in your home.
This guide will provide two different types of sploofs that you can create. You can make a standard sploof or a super sploof. Either way, they both will do a great job at masking the odor of smoke.
Why Do You Need A Sploof?
Maybe you own your own home and don’t want to smoke inside. Or perhaps you’re renting, and you’re not allowed to smoke inside and need a way to mask the smell of smoke. Either way, you need a sploof. By blowing your smoke through a sploof, it filters the odor.
While the sploof won’t take the odor away completely, it’ll at least take away 90% of the scent created when smoking indoors. That way, the smell of smoke doesn’t fill your home. Plus, if you’re renting, you may just get away with smoking inside here and there. (Don’t worry, we won’t tell!)
Materials You Need
- Hard plastic bottle
- Febreze (or any other air freshener works)
- Toilet paper or paper towel
- Scissors or a knife
Instructions To Create A Standard Sploof
- Ensure you have a bottle with a large opening. With this method, a plastic bottle is used. If possible, use a bottle with a bigger opening. The objective is for the smoke not to miss the bottle because it’s too small for your mouth.
- Make holes in the bottom. Using the scissors, make 5-10 holes in the bottom of the bottle by poking them through or cutting them out. These holes shouldn’t be too large or narrow. Check the pictures for a better idea of the correct size. Although it may not be clear, five slits have been made in this bottle.
- Spray Febreze on the paper towel. Just before you use the sploof, spray some Febreze on a damp paper towel or piece of toilet paper. Once you’ve sprayed a good quantity of Febreze all over the paper towels, wrap it around the bottom of the bottle so that all the holes you’ve made are covered. Secure it in place with elastics so that it will remain in place during use.
- Spray extra sheets. Now spray some Febreze onto some more paper sheets and push them into the base of the bottle. It is essential they go right down to the bottom.
- Enjoy your sploof! After blowing all the smoke into the sploof, replace the cap on the plastic bottle without delay. This will stop any smoke from leaving the bottle unless it passes through the Febreze saturated paper towel.
Do You Need A Supersploof Instead?
A super sploof has much in common with a normal sploof, but it expands on the theme with a bigger or more complicated design. For example, as an alternative to using a normal roll of toilet paper, you could opt for a roll of kitchen paper towels.
This enables you to add a fair number of coffee filters sprayed with essential oils, which should be dried. This creates a greater surface area for the smoke to move across.
It’s possible to create other super sploof designs. For example, you could use a plastic water bottle, half-filled with water, and make a hole in the side so a straw can poke through. Attach a coffee filter to replace the cap.
Materials You Will Need
- Used Paper Towel Roll
- Ballpoint Pen
- Several dry coffee filters that have been soaked in essential oils (Or dryer sheets if you prefer)
Instructions To Create A Supersploof
- Make a tape cap. Use a paper towel roll and add anywhere from 2 to 6 layers of packing tape. Or you can use 1 to 2 layers of duct tape. You will need to put the tape around the sides to create your tape cap.
- Apply pressure to the tape cap. Put a lot of filters on the inside of your paper towel roll. This will help to create pressure on the tape cap. Use the ballpoint pen and make several small holes. The holes will let the smoke travel freely through the tape cap. A good rule of thumb is to use a few holes at a time, and then slowly add more holes until you reach the desired amount.
- Fill your roll with coffee filters. On the open end, fill your roll around 2/3 of the way with coffee filters. Or, if you prefer, you can use dryer sheets as well. As an alternative, you can apply deodorant liberally to the paper towel roll. Some people claim that the deodorant not only masks the smell of smoke but it absorbs it instead. That is really all it takes to make a super sploof at home.
- Try out your super sploof. To use your sploof, you will need to set your lips on the inside of the roll firmly to create a tight seal. Exhale your smoke through the filters so they can work their magic. The smoke will travel through the roll and out the tape cap.
- Add or remove your coffee filters. You can calibrate your super sploof to your preferred usage by either adding or removing coffee filters. Also, you may need additional holes in the tape cap to keep your sploof working correctly.
Adjusting Your Sploof
If you find that it’s hard to blow smoke through your sploof, then you might need to pop more holes in the tape cap and remove some of the filters so that it can easily pass through. However, if you find that the smoke passes through easily, but the smell doesn’t change, you’ll need to add more filters for the sploof to work correctly.
Does a Sploof work?
Yes, sploofs work! Although you need to make sure you’re fully exhaling the smoke through the sploof. The smoke needs to pass through the filters in order for your sploof to work. So, as long as you use it correctly, it will work great! You’ll also need to mask the filters adequately for it to work. If you don’t, then the sploof will not do its job.
Does a Sploof work for cigarettes?
A sploof can work for cigarettes, but they aren’t 100% successful since cigarettes burn over a 5 to 6 minutes period. However, you can crack open a window and allow the smoke from the paper burning to escape outdoors, and then blow your smoke through your sploof.
How long does cigarette smell last in a room?
Cigarette smoke can linger for around 2 to 3 hours after you put your cigarette out. Even if you only smoke in one room, the smoke can still spread around the house. It’s a good idea to have a fan blowing the smoke out of the room to the outside.
Wrapping It Up
If you’re smoking inside of your house, the smell can be overwhelming and last a long time. Additionally, the smoke can stain your walls yellow and cause you to need a paint job. When possible, it’s a good idea to smoke outside instead.
However, we understand there are those cases when smoking outdoors is not convenient, whether it be due to weather or another reason. By cracking a window, turning on a fan, and using a sploof, you can eliminate most of the odor of smoke.
This way, you can sneak a smoke, or a toke, without anyone finding out. If you’re in an apartment, you can also sit in the bathroom with the fan while using your sploof. Afterward, run some hot water and put a few drops of tea tree oil in your shower to make your bathroom smell fresh.