While having gym equipment at home is a convenient way to stay fit, it’s not always the best option for saving space. That’s why a low profile treadmill is a great option for at home exercising and fitness (Source).
Consider purchasing one of these devices if you’re looking to make a lifestyle change, or just want to make scheduling your workouts easier. By owning your own equipment, you can work out no matter what time it is, or what the weather outside looks like.
What makes these options better than full-size equipment is their small vertical and horizontal footprint. They’re ideal for small spaces with low ceiling heights, such as balconies, garages, or basements. Although, they work just as well in any room.
If you are using a low profile treadmill don’t forget to buy a quality treadmill mat as it prevents scratches and unintended damage to the surface located exactly beneath the machine. A good treadmill mat will prevent excess dust and from building up underneath the treadmill and the motor compartment.
Besides mats, they are also perfect for apartment living. Conserving space is a must in an apartment; for these cases, go with a low profile option that’s also compact or foldable. These can help you save even more room.
How Much Does a Low Profile Treadmill Cost?
The price of workout equipment tends to vary wildly. In general, though, you’re going to pay more for name-brand or quality devices.
At the higher end of the price ranges, you can expect to pay anywhere between $500 to over $1000. Again, a lot of this will depend on the brand, and the features that are specific to that device.
Some common features you can expect are built-in speakers, USB charging, increased durability, and a wide range of speed settings. Foldable devices may even come with hydraulics to save you the trouble of pushing and pulling the device into the right position.
Well-known brands are also an important factor to consider. Although they cost more, reputable brands typically come with excellent customer support and good warranties. The brand may even offer their own tailored fitness programs or apps.
Cheaper devices tend to range anywhere from $100 to just under $500. At the lower end of the budget, you’re getting similar functionality, just without as many bells and whistles.
Some are also made of cheaper materials and contain less options for settings and less accurate data readouts. That said, they’re still perfectly fine for simple things like daily walks or short jogs. If you’re not much of a fitness junkie, these are a better, more affordable option.
Other Interesting Options
- WIDE RUNNING DECK: Extra wide 20 inch running surface supports your stride and keeps you low to the ground giving you a real running experience without the dangers of running outside. Supports speeds of 0.6 - 9 MPH.
- 【LCD Display with Mutil-functional Handraill】MaxKare treadmill equipped with 4 white light LCD displays and 15 Pre-set programs, easy One-touch operation helps you enjoy the joy of running at home. You can monitor real-time data for each exercise, including speed, time, calories, distance, and heart rate. The handraill of electric treadmill can track the heart rate. Also you can use handrail to change the speed, or start and stop running
- Innovative 2-In-1 Folding Treadmill: Goplus 2-in-1 treadmill has 2 modes to meet your different sports needs. When the riser is folded, it can be used as a jogging machine at a speed of 1-4km/h. When the handrail is raised, the running speed is 1-12km/h.
- 1.Special & Distinctive Feature---Smart Speed Sensor Light. Different from all the mini treadmill on Amazon,RHYTHM FUN new slim folding under desk treadmill has unique feature--Smart Speed Sensor Light,making your sports much more safe! Meanwhile,different speed changing brings different Visual Shock，making your running or walking much more exciting & cool!What also hesitates? Just try this Super shine treadmill!
- EASY-TO-USE DISPLAY: Watch your workout progress in real-time with the 4-window display. View your time, distance, speed, and calories burned all at the same time. Use the integrated pedometer to track your steps during each exercise session.
What Makes a Treadmill Low Profile?
Essentially, a low profile treadmill is meant to take up less space than full-size equipment. There are a few ways that manufacturers manage to do this.
One method is through lowering the vertical clearance. With these options, the height from the base to the top is shorter than the usual standard. The deck, where you run or walk, is also lower to the floor.
The main benefit of these is that even tall people can exercise on them without needing a lot of vertical space. That makes them ideal for use in areas with low ceilings.
Another method that’s popular is to make the device more compact. In doing so, the horizontal foot print becomes much smaller. This means the device can easily fit into a narrow space.
The only downside is that these devices will have narrower decks as well. Keep that in mind if you’re someone who likes space to stretch out while exercising.
And for people who really don’t have room, there are also foldable devices. These options either fold up or down, to create a slimmer profile. These are some of the best options for maximizing space, since you can utilize the area around them when they’re folded.
Different types of treadmills like compact treadmill even come with rollers or wheels. Compact treadmills are small, light, and reasonably priced. They can fit in even the tightest living space. This means that you can roll the equipment into a closet or some other type of storage, and then take it out when you need it.
Factors to Consider Before Buying
Before you purchase this type of device, here are some important considerations you’ll need to go over first:
- Your Space: The amount of space you’re working with has the potential to seriously limit your options. Measure out your space properly before you go out and buy a treadmill. This will give you a better idea of what type of purchase you need to make, which can help narrow down your choices. Remember that foldable options are also a good choice if you have space that can be cleared out temporarily.
- Durability: Since you’ll be using the device regularly, you want to make sure that you’re getting something durable. Running at high speeds on the deck can also put a lot of pressure on the device. If you plan to work higher speeds into your work out, you want to purchase something that can withstand all that force.
- Settings: There are a wide variety of settings that come with this type of device, including speeds and incline. You need to be careful to choose a device that matches your fitness routine. If you’re serious about fitness, you’ll want to purchase a device that has more speed and incline capabilities. For casual users, most devices will have enough settings to satisfy whatever you want to try.
- Your Limitations: Although they save space, the main downside of a foldable device is the hassle of rolling it out, unfolding it, and then repeating the whole process again to store it. If you know that it’s going to keep you from using the device as much as you want, then go with an option that doesn’t fold, or that has automatic folding.
- Additional Features: Modern fitness equipment comes technology-enabled with chargers, Bluetooth speakers, and apps that can help you track your workouts. Depending on what you’re planning to get out of your fitness routine, some of these features may be desirable. Look into what’s possible with some of the newer options, and see if these features appeal to you.
Our Top Pick for the Best Low Profile Treadmill
This option is great for casual users and fitness junkies alike. One great aspect is that it comes with plenty of features. It’s got speakers and a charging port, both of which are great for when you want to keep your phone nearby.
This device also has hydraulics, so it’s a simple, effortless process to get it to fold and unfold. In terms of its profile, it’s a sleek, slender option. The handrails collapse down towards the deck, so the device is thin and flat when folded.
When unfolded, it sits low to the ground, and offers plenty of vertical clearance. It’s also got wheels on the bottom that allow it to slide forwards, backwards, and side-to-side. Paired with its slender shape, this makes it a great option for people who would need to store it.
It’s small enough to slide into a narrow space, and it’s easy to get out and unfold. For a low profile treadmill, this one is the best option for easy storage, great features, and a minimal footprint.
Are you looking for something that you can do any exercise you want in the comfort of your own home? There are great machines on the market with various features and multiple price ranges. Consider buying the best compact home gym.